Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Skirt For Me


A few weekends ago, my husband and I went away for the weekend on a retreat with a marriage ministry in our church.  We were ALONE, without the kids!!  It was refreshing to have a couple of days to focus solely on each other and recharge a bit.  We did miss the kids, but we've always believed that one of the keys to being good parents is having a great marriage, so we try to make deposits in the marriage bank whenever we can.  We're continuously working on both of those areas!  Anyway, the weekend was a blast, and during a few hours on free time on Saturday afternoon, David and I decided to take an approx. 4 mile hike up to the top of a mountain on the grounds where we were staying.  The views were gorgeous!  
It was much more work than I expected, and we reached the top only to find a large parking lot and lots of visitors who had simply driven to the view.  At that point I was wishing we had driven as well, but in the end I was glad that we hiked it.  (I was actually tempted to call a friend and have them come and pick us up on the summit, but hubby was not impressed with that idea hehe).  Don't get me wrong, I love hiking, but to be honest I was concerned about missing the group game activity (I am a loser who loves that kind of thing, you can laugh at me, I'm not ashamed!) 
Well, we made it down the mountain much faster than it took to climb up, and we were just in time to shower and jump into game night.  What does this have to do with my skirt, you may wonder?  Well, that Saturday night dinner was an "assigned" date night, which I thought would be the perfect excuse to get my butt into gear motivation for tackling this much desired project!  It is the Pleated Chevron Skirt Tutorial, by The Crafty Cupboard. It was really fun to make and I was happy with how it turned out...until I tried it on haha.  It looks nice on the hanger, right?  Front:                          Back (ignore the messy stitching around the zipper) :

It looks okay on, the waistband sits a little funny on my hips, but otherwise it's alright.  (Excuse the horrible picture quality, I think something's wrong with my camera).
From the side:
The problem arises when I start walking around.  The whole front of the skirt puffs out and I look like a walking bubble (not the look I'm going for):
I think it must be the material I used...which I think is a heavy-duty knit that is quite stiff.  And therein lies the problem: I don't really know anything about fabrics, their textures, what each fabric is suitable for, etc. etc.  I really need to read up on that and study different fabric types hands-on.  So if you walk into Joann's and see a woman running her hands over every bolt of fabric with two cranky kids by her side, I'm just doing some personal research!  One positive I did take from this is that I now know how to make simple pockets in a skirt.  I love the little peek of contrasting fabric!

1 comment:

  1. Cute skirt...too bad about the bubble. But, like you said, it's all in learning what fabrics to use in what types of projects. I took a sewing class at Nassau, which was really cool. Maybe someday you can work it out to take one too!

    ReplyDelete