Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Budding Sewer

In the days leading up to Barley's birthday, I was in a mad dash to finish sewing the playmats I was making him. This comes directly after a long hiatus from making anything, so Nenna noticed all of the time I was spending at the sewing machine and was very interested. She's expressed a desire to sew in the past, but after a few stitches with a needle and thread has lost interest pretty quickly. A few days ago she told me she wanted to make a quilt with a needle and thread for Puppy, and could I please help her? (Puppy is her favorite stuffed animal, and I bet you can't guess what kind of animal she is, hehe. Nenna is very original in naming her animals: puppy, monkey, bear...) So I cut out a small rectangle for her out of felt and she instructed me in what colors and shapes she wanted to sew onto it. I showed her how to thread the needle and make a knot. She was already becoming distracted at this point, but once I handed the needle over to her, she sat and sewed the little pieces on by herself. She was very engrossed in her work and I could tell she was thinking about where each piece should be arranged and where each stitch should go. I was so proud of her, but more importantly, she was so proud of herself! I hope that this is a sign of things to come and that she'll grow up loving to sew as much as her Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment