Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Taste of Something Sweet

Although I have some tried-and-true baking recipes that I return to again and again (many of which involve a jump start from Betty Crocker or the Pillsbury doughboy), I love trying something new. With Barley's birthday party with my family coming up, I decided to try a new cake recipe, cake bites, and homemade marshmallows! For the marshmallows I used the recipe here from Martha Stewart, originator of so many fabulous things! I don't have a candy thermometer or a standing mixer, but they came out just fine! I looooved tasting the "batter" before it set--it was like extra gooey marshmallow fluff- Yum! I think I liked it better than the finished product, ha! I cut mine out in heart shapes (which my husband then said was kind of girly for a boy's birthday but I only have heart, pumpkin, or duck cookie cutters...so my choices were limited.)
Of course, just plain marshmallows weren't enough...I had to cover them in chocolate! I melted semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave and then spread it across half of each heart and let it harden before putting them in a tupperware. You can see the finished product in the top photo with the cake bites (in a green bowl).
The cake bites (like cake pops sans sticks) turned out really yummy! (Yes, they're actually called cake balls but I must be really immature since I can't use that term without thinking of the SNL sketch with Alec Baldwin and his "shvetty balls"--am I the only one?) I used the recipe here (http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake-balls/) but with homemade chocolate cake, homemade cream cheese frosting, and Wilton's dark chocolate melts. I actually preferred the way they tasted before they were coated in chocolate! I think that uncoated they would be awesome as part of a dessert station with chocolate fondue!! Mmmm. The chocolate cake was a new recipe too, and I found it here (http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-dark-cho-14696). It was really nice and moist, it's definitely bookmarked to try again. I thought it would be fun to do a little picture of Lightning McQueen on it, who Barley calls "happy car!" I just dipped a toothpick in food coloring gel and used that to draw the image over the frosting. All in all, I was very happy with the outcome and will definitely be revisiting the chocolate cake and cake bites again soon!
As you can see, we enjoyed the cake! Mmmm...nice and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment