Friday, June 7, 2013

A Boy and His Blanket

I have wanted to try my hand at knitting for a while, so when I found out I was pregnant with Henry I thought it was a great time to knit a baby blanket.  For some reason I did not start with a simple stockinette stitch blanket, but instead decided to make my first ever knitting project a chevron baby blanket that I had previously seen here on the blog Made.  The pattern is from Purl Bee and can be found here.  I bought myself a pair of bamboo circular needles, which felt better to me than metal ones.  I totally downgraded on the yarn to save money, but I think the yarn still has a great look and feel to it.  I used Red Lion Soft 100% acrylic, worsted weight.  This blanket is knit with double strands of yarn, which makes the finished product thicker and chunkier. 
Here's how it turned out:
I got lucky that Henry is a boy; gender was a surprise this time around but I was obviously drawn to more boyish colors anyway!

I think he likes it!

Yes, there are a number of imperfections and wonky lines (where there shouldn't be any) but doesn't that add to the charm?  At least that's what I tell myself.  I am so happy with it regardless! 
 
Henry at around 1 week, sunbathing on his blanket.  And no, I am not in the habit of tanning my newborns - it was the doctor's orders to help his jaundice.  : )
I would love to try another knitting project when I have a little more free time (and more importantly, free hands!)

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable Caitlin! Great job, you have a knack for knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took nearly as long for me to make the blanket as it took for me to make Henry, but I enjoyed the process. :)

      Delete